Monday, 10 February 2014

Imported Cars And Personalised Number Plates

If you are importing a car in to Great Britain, the very first thing you will want to do is check the most up-to-date regulations (even though you do this on a regular basis - they might have been changed since the last time you imported a car), as it is vital that the car meets these particular conditions.

Your car must be registered for use in Great Britain - and in order for this to occur the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) will have to be sure that the car will be suitable to use on British roads. Whenever the motor vehicle was first registered in the EU, which involves declaring that your motor vehicle is in fact suitable for use in Great Britain as well as agreeing to make whatever changes which may perhaps be needed (for example getting the right amount of seat belts). This is part and parcel of the MRS (Mutual Recognition Scheme), and you're able to see whether your vehicle qualifies under this particular scheme just by speaking to the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA). In cases where your application is accepted, the Vehicle Certification Agency provide you with a certificate that is going to support your application for a registration with the DVLA. The DVLA web site provides a lot more info on the best way to register your motor vehicle for the United Kingdom's roads.

Having said that what about changing the registration? If you're buying a new personalised plate or even if you currently have a private number plates and would like to transfer the registration on to your imported car, it is important to ensure you follow the proper procedures (all terms and conditions may be found on the DVLA web site).

Private Registrations may be acquired from a variety of different places - on the net, at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency auction, through a private sale or from some sort of dealer. You'll be able to purchase just about any registration plate you're looking for, provided that it is available, however, you cannot make a vehicle look newer than it actually is. Whenever you're choosing cherished plates for an imported vehicle, you will need certain things to hand: a Certificate of Entitlement (V750), an up to date M.O.T. certificate for your motor vehicle given that it is now in the UK, and also the log book (also known as a V5 Registration Document).

If you are transferring a personalised number plate you currently own, the regulations are slightly different, and you will need to fill out form V317. If your registration plate is being transferred from somebody else's motor vehicle, then both the registered owners have to fill out the form before sending it to the local DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) office. A transfer fee of £80 is also required for this transaction, in addition to a V62 form. Once again, all details may be located on the DVLA web site, although you should be aware that any sort of supporting documents will have to be the originals; copies aren't going to be accepted.

As a bit of a side note, whenever you're importing a motor vehicle, it is worth taking into consideration the viability of servicing it in the United Kingdom: will there be problems in relation to maintaining it and also obtaining spare parts? It is also worth paying attention to the narrow nature of many British roads if you're thinking of buying a huge car or truck from somewhere like the US; the number plate might fit, but will the car or truck fit down our peaceful country lanes? Doing a little investigation on the web before purchasing your car - and also your registration number - will allow you to buy what you need.


  1. Share more information with me about the car plates and this is one of the precious post. Thanks for sharing this information.
    Car Number Plates

  2. I want to find a number plate maker online but I want to add my own footer and a welsh flag badge on the side. Any idea where I could find?

    Cheap show plates